The UK has been “vindicated” over its “brave” decision to offer vaccines doses up to three months apart, the World Health Organisation’s special envoy on COVID-19 has said.
Dr David Nabarro told Sky News’ Sophy Ridge On Sunday the move had provided the rest of the world with a “great lesson”.
The UK went against the advice of the World Health Organisation (WHO) by choosing to offer a second jab between three and 12 weeks after the first dose.
Data from the Joint Committee on Vaccines and Immunisation has so far shown reasonably high levels of protection after the first dose.
Dr Nabarro told Sky News: “The advice of the World Health Organisation on intervals between vaccine doses was based on what the manufacturers did in doing what we call the phase three trials of the vaccine and WHO and its committees really has to work on the basis of what manufacturers have told them – but isn’t it wonderful that it has turned out, as a result of the UK’s bravery frankly, that these extended intervals seems to be associated with greater protection.”